Geghard is one of Armenia's most significant medieval architectural ensembles and lies some 5 km northeast of Garni. According to legend, it was founded in the 4th century. The most ancient cave-church of St Gregory (7th century) is outside the monastery walls. The principal structure, the church of the Virgin, is a cruciform building from the second quarter of the 13th century. It has a four-column gavit (1225) to the west of the church. Two cave-churches were constructed in 1263, along with the family sepulchre of the Proshian Princes. Their coat of arms is carved in the rock: two chained lions and an eagle with half-spread wings, whose claws grasp a calf.
The architect Galdzagh built both structures. Carved in the rock, somewhat above the sepulchre, is the four-column burial place of Prince Papak and his wife Hroozakan (1288). It clearly recalls other 12th-13th century four-column gavits. A number of artificial caves and many khatchkars are also visible.
Geghard Monastery is listed in the UNESCO World Heritage List (2000).